GV is exited to team up with The Adcom Group and Sherwin-Williams’ to unveil a colorful banner on the side of Sherwin-Williams downtown headquarters, celebrating many of the city’s most beloved landmarks.
In September 2010, Sherwin-Williams installed a banner featuring a beautiful black-and-white photograph of Cleveland with the headline “Our home since 1866. Our pride forever.” The new banner celebrates Cleveland’s vitality and amazing architecture with the title “Our Vibrant Home Town. Sherwin-Williams and Cleveland. Together Since 1866.”
“We wanted to demonstrate our feeling of pride and commitment to the city of Cleveland while taking a more colorful approach, especially since our company is a global leader in color,” said Chris Connor, chairman and chief executive officer, The Sherwin-Williams Company. “The new headline, Our Vibrant Home Town, is a powerful, energizing message that Cleveland is not only one of the best locations in the nation, but our community is one of the best locations in the world! We want to salute the world class companies, natural resources, sports teams, health care and cultural institutions that make Cleveland a truly special place for our citizens and visitors alike.”
The new banner features the following landmarks and icons:
- Terminal Tower
- Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum
- Quicken Loans Arena
- Main Avenue Bridge
- Progressive Field
- Fountain of Eternal Life, also known as the War Memorial Fountain
- West Side Market
- Cleveland Harbor West Pierhead Lighthouse
- Goodtime III
- Global Center for Health and Innovation
- FirstEnergy Stadium, Home of the Cleveland Browns
- Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Bridge #463
- Key Tower
- Guardians of Traffic on the Hope Memorial Bridge
- Wind Turbine
- Veterans Memorial Bridge, also known as the Detroit Superior Bridge
- Lolly the Trolley
Landmarks such as the Terminal Tower and the West Side Market pay homage to Cleveland’s rich heritage, while the Global Center for Health and Innovation celebrates the city’s future. The bold colors featured in the banner were selected to reflect the city’s vitality.
A true local work of art, the banner was developed by Cleveland-based agency The Adcom Group, which recommended that Sherwin-Williams commission Cleveland’s own George Vlosich III to illustrate the piece.
Vlosich is an internationally known artist for his illustrations and one-of-a-kind pieces of art using an Etch A Sketch®. Recently, he created murals for Positively Cleveland and Cleveland’s Horseshoe Casino. KSK Visual Ingenuity printed the banner at their facility in Solon, Ohio and oversaw its installation.
The banner is displayed prominently on the Ontario Street side of the Sherwin-Williams global headquarters building. For more information on Sherwin-Williams, visit www.sherwin-williams.com.
Interesting Sherwin-Williams Banner Facts
- The banner is mixed media – a combination of illustration, paint, ink and digital.
- Due to the detailed nature of the piece, the illustration took over 150 hours to create.
- One of the largest Vinyl Mesh wall banners in the U.S.
- The banner consists of 14 printed panels each 16’ wide before finishing.
- There is a total of 23,320 square feet of printed vinyl mesh material, which is over ½ acre (43,560 square feet) and about half the size of a regulation football field end zone to end zone (football field is 48,000 sq ft).
- 7 gallons of ink were used to print the banner.
- Print time was 56 hours.
- 259 grommets are sewn into the banner
- The banner weighs approximately 1800 lbs.
- There is 2,074 feet of welding to join the 14 sections together.
- 322 ratchet straps hold the banner to the building.
- Over 1300 feet of cable attach to the side of the building to support the banner.
- 5830 average size adults could stand on the banner, shoulder to shoulder, assuming each person is approximately 4 square feet across.
Founded in 1866, The Sherwin-Williams Company is a global leader in the manufacture, development, distribution, and sale of coatings and related products to professional, industrial, commercial, and retail customers.
With 34,154 associates and $9.53 billion in sales, S-W is the USA’s #1 paint and coatings company; #3 in the world.
The company manufactures products under well-known brands such as Sherwin-Williams®, Dutch Boy®, Krylon®, Minwax®, Thompson’s® Water Seal®, Ronseal™, Becker Acroma™, Sayerlack®, Euronavy®, Altax™ and many more.
With global headquarters in Cleveland, Ohio, Sherwin-Williams® branded products are sold exclusively through a chain of more than 4,000 company-operated stores and facilities, while the company’s other brands are sold through leading mass merchandisers, home centers, independent paint dealers, hardware stores, automotive retailers, and industrial distributors.
The Sherwin-Williams Global Finishes Group delivers a wide range of products to the automotive refinishes, product finishes, and protective and marine markets in 120 countries around the world. For more information, visit sherwin-williams.com. Join Sherwin-Williams on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest.
# # #